Why Radon in your home is a concern


Concern for radon in your home

"When a home is built, we of course excavate the ground to install a foundation and build the home, and we generally make the home as airtight as possible for energy efficiency. That is smart building practice except for the fact that the radon gas released by decomposing granite in the soil is trapped in your energy efficient home."

—Michael Harper, Contributor Pike's Peak Courier I Home and Real Estate

While living in the Rocky Mountains region is a privilege, it comes with some unique challenges. The existence of a level of radon is one of those challenges. Radon is an odorless, tasteless, naturally occurring result of the decaying of decomposing granite. If you look around pretty much anywhere in Teller County you will notice we are surrounded by decomposing granite. It’s in rock formations, the soil, gravel and road base used all over the county.

When a home is built, we of course excavate the ground to install a foundation and build the home, and we generally make the home as airtight as possible for energy efficiency. That is smart building practice except for the fact that the radon gas released by decomposing granite in the soil is trapped in your energy efficient home. It can build up a level of radon on the inside living space of the home and the persons occupying the home breathe the trapped air in the home. Read More

Source: https://gazette.com/pikespeakcourier