"Any home, school or building can have high-levels of radon, including new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements." —EPA
Radon is a natural, radioactive gas that you can't see or smell. Prolonged exposure to radon is known to cause lung cancer. Elevated levels of radon have been found in every state.
Test your home, school and business. Testing for radon is simple and inexpensive. Radon levels are often highest in the lowest part of a home or building, so testing in the basement or first floor is a good place to start.
Fix your home if a test shows elevated radon levels at or above 4 pCi/L. Find a certified contractor, get cost estimates and fix spaces with an elevated radon level. If elevated radon levels are found in your school or business talk to your school administrator or building manager about getting the problem fixed.
About Radon in Homes, Schools and Buildings
Radon comes from the natural decay of uranium and radium found in nearly all rocks and soils. Radon moves up from the ground and into buildings through the openings that exist in floors or walls. In some parts of the country where groundwater is the primary source for drinking water radon can enter with the home’s water. Because radon comes from rocks and soils, radon typically collects in rooms that are in contact with the ground, like basements. The EPA and the Surgeon General recommend testing all homes and schools for radon. Test your home or school again if there are major remodeling or changes to the HVAC system.
Any home, school or building can have high-levels of radon, including new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes, and homes with or without basements. Read More
Whether at your home, school or business—Monitor Your Air and Protect Your Health.
Click Here to learn about lüft™ Plug-in Indoor Air Quality & Radon Monitor.